Diabetes is a disorder of carbohydrate metabolism, usually occurring in genetically predisposed individuals, characterized by inadequate production or utilization of insulin and resulting in excessive amounts of glucose in the blood and urine, excessive thirst, weight loss, and in some cases progressive destruction of small blood vessels leading to such complications as infections and gangrene of limbs and blindness.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatment (HBOT) can be utilized in the prevention or rehabilitation of the complications that can occur with diabetes. Small blood vessels that have been damaged by diabetes can be assisted at the cellular level by forcing oxygen into the tissues and fluids to assist the body in repairing itself.
Diabetics also have a concern with lower extremity wounds. Many cases of diabetic wounds can lead to gangrene and possible amputation. Hyperbaric Oxygen combined with a wound care program help heal these wounds and save the lower extremity from infections or amputation. Click here to learn more about Non-healing wounds.
Acute Peripheral Arterial Insufficiency
Acute Peripheral Arterial Insufficiency manifests from Peripheral Vascular disease and is atherosclerosis of the extremities, (in most cases lower) causing ischemia. This can lead to ulcers, non-healing wounds and/or gangrene.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Treatments (HBOT) in conjunction with other therapies can help arterial blood flow at the cellular level. HBOT forces oxygen into the body’s tissues and fluids enabling the body to work more efficiently in healing itself.
Acute Peripheral Arterial Insufficiency can lead to similar Non-healing wounds that occur with diabetics. Click here to learn more about how HBO helps with Non-Healing wounds.
For more detailed information and studies please see the list below.
**** Please note: The information below is for educational purposes only. We want to help you to make an educated decision about your health care. Please consult a physician before pursuing any kind of therapy.
A prescription is required for Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- “The Efficacy Of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy For The Treatment Of Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy” by Cihan Top, Oral Öncül, Saban Çavuslu, Emin Elbüken, Mehmet Saraçoðlu, Mehmet Danacý: The Efficacy Of Hyperbaric Oxygen Theraphy For The Treatment Of Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy. The Internet Journal of Neurology. 2002. Volume 1 Number 2.
- “Post-traumatic Limb Ischemia: Prediction of Final Outcome by Transcutaneous Oxygen Measurements in Hyperbaric Oxygen” by Mathieu D, Wattel F, Bouachour G, Billard V, Defoin JF., Centre Régional d'Oxygénothérapie Hyperbare, Hôpital Albert Calmette, Lille, France, March 1990, Pub Med
- “The Effect of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy on Blood Vessel Function in Diabetes Mellitus” by Unfirer S, Kibel A, Drenjancevic-Peric I., Department of Physiology and Immunology, School of Medicine, University Josip Juraj Strossmayer Osijek, J. Huttlera 4, 31 000 Osijek, Croatia., Aug 2008, PubMed
- “Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Decreases QT Dispersion in Diabetic Patients” by Kardesoglu E, Aparci M, Uzun G, Suleymanoglu S, Uz O, Onem Y, Ay H, Kucukardali Y, Ozkan S., Department of Cardiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Teaching Hospital, Istanbul, Turkey., May 2008, PubMed.
- “Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Improves Myocardial Diastolic Function in Diabetic Patients.” By Aparci M, Kardesoglu E, Suleymanoglu S, Uzun G, Onem Y, Uz O, Kucukardali Y, Ozkan S, Department of Cardiology, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Haydarpasa Teaching Hospital., March 2008, PubMed
“Generalized Small-Vessel Stenosis in the Brain. A Case History of a Patient Treated with Monoplace Hyperbaric Oxygen at 1.5 to 2 ATA” by Neubauer RA. Sept 1983, PubMed.
- “Adjunctive Systemic Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Treatment of Severe Prevalently Ischemic Diabetic Foot Ulcer. A Randomized Study.” By Faglia E, Favales F, Aldeghi A, Calia P, Quarantiello A, Oriani G, Michael M, Campagnoli P, Morabito A., Diabetology Center, Niguarda Hospital, Milan, Italy., Dec 1996, Pub Med
- “Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in the Management of Diabetic Lower Limb Wounds” by Ong M, Hyperbaric Medicine Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433.
, Feb 2008, PubMed
- "Adjuntive systemic hyperbaric oxygen therapy in treatment of severe prevalently ischemic diabetic foot ulcer. A randomized study." by E Faglia, F Favales, A Aldeghi, P Calia, A Quarantiello, G. Oriani, M Michael, P Campagoli, and A. Morabito. Diabetic Center, Niguarda Hospital, Milan Italy
- A prospects evaluation of spirometric changes in diabetic, pre-diabetic and non-diabetic patients undergoing long term Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Lo T. Tan L, Yap M, Terry M, Lum M, Gold P, UHM 2010 Vol 37, No5
ORCCA Hyperbaric Oxygen Delray Beach, Florida